Friday, October 21, 2011

#FridayReads - October 21st, 2011 Edition

For those not familiar, #FridayReads is about discussing what you're currently reading. As the FAQ states, it "promotes literacy and a passion for reading." Here is the entire Twitter feed for the #fridayreads hashtag. Through talking about what I've been reading, I'm hoping to accomplish a few things: make myself think a bit about how exactly I'd describe something I've recently read, let people know about books I've enjoyed, and hear from my readers about what they are reading.

Since my most recent #FridayReads post (two weeks ago) I finished reading the novel Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi. It went in all sorts of directions I wasn't expecting, but maintained its tone throughout and was, on the whole, a lot of fun. There's an introduction to the book which is available online and which tells about the background of him writing the novel. He ended up being a sort of pioneer in the indie publishing eBook world with this novel, making several thousand dollars posting it for free and letting people send him donations if they liked it. Interesting stuff!

I have read several more of the short stories from The Night and the Music by Lawrence Block in the last couple of weeks. I've been enjoying revisiting these stories. I mentioned a couple weeks ago that this was available as an eBook. It's also now available as a print book for those who would like a physical copy. If you're one of those people, he has a blog post telling you how you can order it.

Speaking of short stories, I've also been reading ones published in recent issues of the various digest magazines like Analog and Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine along with some on-line publications.

The one novel I've started in the last two weeks is Viridis by Calista Taylor. It's described as a "Steampunk Romance & Mystery" and the first chapter had me intrigued enough to want to read more. This one's currently free on Amazon (and other sites) so if the genres mentioned interest you, it might be worth giving it a look.

So, that's what I'm reading as of this Friday. Our boxes of books which were moved out while our house was repaired from its water damage all came back Wednesday. It's an truly impressive mountain of boxes plopped in the middle of our bedroom. On the one hand, I'm glad to have these "friends" back. On the other hand... Wow. It's making me think that the eReader may become more and more a part of my life in the future. I know that I'm glad that we weren't the ones lugging those boxes around...

What about you all? Reading any good books, eBooks, short stories? I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment