Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunday Links & the Week in #storyeachnight : April 29, 2012 Edition

It's been a strangely low-key weekend here so far, despite the fact that I spent hours yesterday writing. I know it's most likely the calm before a storm, but it's still been nice to feel even vaguely relaxed the last 36 or so hours.

I've continued to keep up with #storyeachnight. Here are this week's entries:

4/22 - "Scout" by Bud Sparhawk from the 6/12 ASIMOV'S. A fallen soldier re-enters the fight in a different role.
4/23 - "Crooks" by Paul Carlson from the 6/12 ANALOG.
4/24 - "You've Ruined This For Me" by Ewan C. Forbes from DAILY SCIENCE FICTION.
4/25 - "Dolly at the End of the World" by Amanda C. Davis from DAILY SCIENCE FICTION. Great voice & characters.
4/26 - "Moving Night" by Nancy Holder from 100 HAIR-RAISING LITTLE HORROR STORIES. A young boy's night terrors & more
4/27 - "The Other Graces" by Alice Sola Kim from THE YEAR'S BEST SCIENCE FICTION & FANTASY 2011. Great voice and interesting character-building. I loved the story up until near the end when it started to lose me.
4/28 - "The Old Genius" by Nikolai Leskov from THE ENCHANTED WANDERER AND OTHER STORIES. A short crime story about how a wealthy man who refused to pay his debts was forced to recompense a trusting old woman.

Now, here are this week's writing-related links:
"Writing Legend Les Edgerton Teaches Us How To Create a Remarkable Writing Voice" (Kristen Lamb) - Voice is something that I've been thinking about a lot recently. Last week I linked to Lawrence Block's post about Robert B. Parker and his authorial voice. It's an interesting subject and Edgerton has thoughts worth reading about it.

"Indie = Dime Novels of 2012?" (Susan Kaye Quinn) - And another thing I've been thinking a good deal about these last few weeks is indie publishing. I don't have any desire to stop actively pursuing publication in pro and semi-pro short fiction markets, but I do want to keep exploring the world of indie publishing. That's why one of my goals for May will be to release a second eBook. Susan muses on the possible connections between indie publishing and publishing trends of a century ago.

"Pricing, Visibility & Experimentation" (David Gaughran) -Another post relating to indie publishing, this one focusing on some of the specifics of David's experience with promotions and other forms of price adjustment.

Finally, here's a recap of the posts from this week on my blog:

"DIY: Creating My Own eBook, Part One" - Monday I went through an overview of the process I took in creating my first ever eBook using Amazon's Kindle Direct Publication (KDP) Select program -- "Gravity's Pull".

"Dissecting the Short Story: 'Memories of My Mother' by Ken Liu" - The Dissecting the Short Story feature returns with this analysis of a flash fiction by Ken Liu from Daily Science Fiction.

Best of luck to everyone with their writing goals for the week!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! You have some great links here (I'm a huge David Gaughran fan).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on making your W1S1 goal. Interesting links, I'll have to check some of them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, reading and micro-reviewing a short story every night? That's a fantastic idea :)

    Also, congratulations on reaching your W1S1 goals for April.

    ~ Rhonda Parrish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't take credit for the idea, personally. Nicole Cushing is the one who started using the hashtag.

      But it is a lot of fun and it's helped me keep up on my reading. I actually made it all the way through a magazine before the next issue arrived this way!

      Delete